Monday, December 30, 2019

How I Manually Get Rid of Holiday Greetings Scam?

Due to curiosity and I don't want to embarrass my friends in Facebook, I read and open their messages, especially their Christmas greetings for it's a Christmas season. I take time out of replying of them.

Wish-you holiday greetings
Tonight while my youngest son, his wife and I were having our dinner in one of eateries at the public plaza  he told me about this wish-you Christmas greetings withan email icon seen usually via messenger or phone. I said there were so many I received from my friends but I didn't mind. Not until my closed friend forwarded one to me and I opened it.


This Christmas holiday greetings had  made me worry for the first time while dealing with my Social media friends and followers. And I am referring to wish-you holiday greetings I opened recently. It's a security risk.

It has been said that Wish-you.co is a page-redirecting and ad-generating software that can easily integrate with popular browsers like Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Opera and Safari. It has pointed out that once it's installed, the default browser’s homepage or the search engine would be changed and woukd install a sponsored one in its place.

My junior son said it is a holiday greetings scam. He told me change or reset right away my password in Facebook. I tried for the first attempt and I failed. For the 2nd and 3rd time I did fail. I was using my mobile phone at that time.

Now I tried using my elder daughter's desktop computer. I attempted to login to my dismay I couldn't make it. I made another move by resetting it via my email account and waiting for the 6-code. I checked my email there's no message. I did it for the 2nd try, no message. 

I seemed to worry. Nevertheless I could still use my FB account for I didn't log out yet. My last recourse is to reset my password by using my cellphone's number. I did it and waited for my phone to sound but none  no 6-digit code received.  I did it for the 2nd. I received no message.

I referred my problem to my junior son. He said why checked your email. I told him desperately that nothing to hope for. So I worried. For the last advice my son said why not try to open you spam email folder.

Presto! It's there.

I copied immediately the code and the password reset facility popped up. I encoded my new password of a combination of letters and numbers. I made it as strong as possible.

After I did it, I went to my latest activity. I read that something was unhealthy a activity which I didn't normally make it. To secure more about my FB account I was asked to change again my password and I did. Then I was asked to log out from my other accounts which my FB is connected. And I did.

I finally log out from the desktop computer and log in using my mobile phone. I successfully logged in. Now I have the peace of mind.

The lesson I learned that it's dangerous to open any forwarded messages from my friends or from my family if they come from unknown sites.

Hope you learn your lesson too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...